Saturday, January 3, 2009

A weekend in Dungarpur

I have lost my voice.  I have to either whisper or talk in harsh croaks like a dying crow.  So, I have taken to silence (much to the relief of my immediate family I can see).  Writing about my experiences of the last month seem a more dignified option to squawking.

A few months ago,my husband casually mentioned a weekend reunion with his old boarding school buddies. I was quick and gracious in my "permission" to him to go without me - I mean how many times have we wives heard the same completely incredible (but true) stories? Then he sent me the link to the place of the intended visit - Udai Bilas Palace in Dungarpur. Hmmm, I could put up with a few story-reruns for this, I thought to myself. And, so it appears, did half a dozen other wives!

And so, there we were one Friday evening, after a three hour ride from Ahmedabad at the gates of the palace, my first visit to the state of Rajasthan, my first stay at a palace and my first live glimpse of turbaned Rajputs..... not to mention my first live view of the Fevicol ad - you know the one with all the turbaned, mustached, "stuck" to the bus, on the roof, sides and bonnet?!

My first glimpse of the palaceWe entered and walked through to the lakeside, and in the fading evening light these were our first views.
The large Ghaibsagar lake, full of ducks - mainly spot-billed - cormorants, egrets and moorhens!

At the far shore of the lake was a large Jain temple, highlighted by that little hillock behind it.







As we walked along the lakeshore to our room, we saw this little temple in the lake.  To be visited by boat, unless you fancy a swim across, that is.

Our host was suddenly excited, pointing to the little flock of ducks at the base of the temple wall.  Amongst the spot-billed ducks was a lone pair of migratory mallard ducks!  Next morning, they were gone, and I didn't see them at all after that first sighting.

The lake view of the palace. Our room was in the wing on the left, entering through the archway on the lakefront.

As we were to discover, the palace had many hidden, winding staircases, narrow and steep, and one of these led to our room.
The stairway to room No 5!
It curved away to more steps! This is the view from the top of the stairs! So, despite all the wining and dining we did, the stair climb to and from our room was a good calorie-burner!

The only hitch was if  one had heavy or large luggage - we didn't - I wonder how they would have carried it up.

One enters near the archway in the background into this large and spacious room, with a lovely view - through the windows on the left - of the lake.
The charming bathroom, which also had a view!
Dropped our bags here, and set off to explore.

The central courtyard
These are the older parts of the palace. Dates back to the mid 19th century, we were told.  (Udai Bilas is actually the new palace.  The original and older one, now unused, is the Juna Mahal.)

I have not seen any other Rajput palace up close, but from what the others said this palace was a fine example of Rajput architecture of that period, with these lovely pillars, finely carved little alcoves and verandahs and intricate panelling.

The hihglights in green-grey are a local stone called pareva. I really liked the texture of this stone.  The night was a full-moon night, and as we women sat around the courtyard chatting and laughing, the moon came into the space and cast a lovely light on the stone.  

It was quite magical.  I wonder if the men actually noticed, they were so busy catching up indoors with horror stories of their past, that I think they just missed the play of light and night on the palace!
The Ek Thambia Mahal sat in the middle of the courtyard, and looked like it was surrounded by water fountains and a moat in the old days. On the other side, there was a little walkway across the moat, so we could wander around the base of this little one-pillared mahal.  And guess what, there were little ceramic, English looking dolls nestled in niches in the pillars!

If you click on the picture and zoom in, you will notice that each pillar and the hanging eaves (I hope that's what they're called) have so much workmanship on them, all the way up and down the structure.


New additions
The swimming pool overlooking the lake..
..and this absolutely magical dining table!
Quite marvellous!  Open to the skies, above, with a water pool in the middle, which could be still and strewn with rose petals or have water bubbling through it.  All quite magical.  And the food...I have not had such good rasmalais anywhere I tell you.  And the special local rotis - lets just say I ate a fair amount!  
And as we trooped off to bed, this is what we saw.

More, on the Juna Mahal and the birds of Dungarpur, to follow.

Continued here.  

12 comments:

  1. Ambika,

    I am so jealous and delighted at the same time with your blog. What a treasure of a find this place is. Keep it up.

    Divya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvellous! I loved it. How does one book a room to stay at this heavenly paradise, I'd like to know?

    Thanks!

    Anu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Divya and Anu.

    They have a website check out - www.udaibilaspalace.com. There are rooms with various tariffs. The largest is like a house - a complete cricket team could stay quite comfortably! Its called the Mahasherawat suite, I think. Room 5 and 21 are in the left most wing, one below the other, with a lake view, and only as large as my apartment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you visited the Shikar Room of the Palace. The trophies collection of this Royal family is considered as one of the largest collection in the country. If not seen than you must visit again or I will send the photographs if interested.
    Wishes
    Satya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Satya we did visit the trophy room, with its Shikar from the Old Raja's African safaris as well, and I do have some photographs as well!


    99 tigers he was supposed to have shot....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Ambika! Looking forward to reading the rest of your story and seeing your lovely pictures. I can't wait to visit Udai Bilas palace in the near future :-).

    Anu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ambika, the ek thambi mahal is so well kept and the rajput architecture and the Indian mughal architecture have some similar designs, especially the residing palaces. The dining room is gorgeous.amma.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my god... amazing. Your room looks fit for... royalty! :-) Lovely pictures, each one more gasp-worthy than the previous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. good post,
    check www.dungarpur.in for more info on Dungarpur

    ReplyDelete
  10. mrs abmika thank's for visiting our place, please visit dungarpur and udaipur again and also tell to ur friends about it, these places are really very nice and heavenly i'm also from dungarpur district please these web address also:-
    1. http://dungarpur.nic.in/
    2. http://www.dungarpur.net/
    3. http://udaibilaspalace.com/
    4.http://www.rajasthantravelguide.com/city/dungarpur.html
    5.http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/rajasthan/districts/dungarpur.html
    6. http://www.indiasite.com/rajasthan/dungarpur/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...more I explore...more am amazed by the treasure trove of information...its like visiting all these places firsr hand :-)

    ReplyDelete

Andaman Day 4 and 5 - Rangat scrub and open forests

Continued from here.  Click here for the previous post.  Feb 13th 2024 - Our Post lunch wander The post-lunch session is always one that req...